These review questions are designed to be a brief active review of the previous article and podcast covering contraception and infertility. If for some reason something doesn’t make sense or you want to go back and check something click here for that article and podcast.
1. The theoretical failure rate of oral contraception is __________ but the typical failure rate is __________.
- 1.0%, 5.0%
- 0.3%, 15.0%
- 0.3%, 8.0%
- 1.5%, 5.0%
2. A patient calls to tell you that she has missed her pill yesterday. Upon further questioning she has not had intercourse in the past week. What is her best course of action.
- Take two pills today
- Take two pills today and use a barrier method for seven days
- Disregard the missed pill and continue taking the rest in order. Use a barrier method for the next seven days.
- Disregard the missed pill and continue taking the rest in order.
3. Before a patien’ts elective foot surgery you recommend she stop taking her OCP. What is the reason for this?
- Stopping the OCP will increase her Hgb preop
- There is an increased risk of DVT with OCP use
- You will want to evaluate symptoms without the OCP masking them.
- Estrogen works as a blood thinner and should be stopped preop.
4. The first line medical treatment for problems with ovulation is which of the following medications?
5. Which if the following is NOT a benefit of oral contraception?
- Improvement of benign breast disease symptoms
- decreased anemia
- decreased risk of breast cancer
- Improved acne